Monday, July 12, 2010

Why a day off keeps me on track....

Donoughts ? Donuts ? Pictures, Images and Photos

The system of healthy lifestyle I'm using advocates taking a 24 hour break from my health routine every week.  I usually do this from Saturday evening to Sunday evening.  Since I started following this system I've had about 10 days off, and I live it up every time!  It seems that by Saturday I begin to get a little tired of the routine and really start to count down the hours till my time off.  I love the fact that I don't have to say goodbye forever to brownies and ice cream, white rolls, butter, donuts, fries, ect. I just say "see you next weekend". I love that this really works, I'm able to continue to improve my health, burn fat, create muscle, and still have my cake and eat it too,,,on the weekend.
This weekend I went to the Burger Bar and got a cheeseburger, homemade fries, cherry lime rickey and a cookies and cream shake.  I shared it all with my kids, but I got to cure my craving.  I've actually not allowed myself to go to the Burger Bar in over 6 years, because in the past I was trying to lose weight and you don't go to the Burger Bar when you're doing that! But now that I know how to find balance I was able to go and enjoy myself.  It made me very happy!
A funny thing about the day off is that by the end of the 24 hours I find myself looking forward to returning to my healthy routine.  I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and on this healthy lifestyle system my digestion thrives, but throw in the unhealthy food and all the old symptoms come back.  It really helps me remember how well this healthy lifestyle is working for me and motivates me to stick with it for another week.
So for you that using this same system I'm on, what do YOU think about the day off?  Is it a help or hindrance?

2 comments:

  1. Great advice. Just a quick experience. I, like you, found myself feeling so much better that after a few months I chose not to take any day offs. Not only did I feel better and my night time acid reflux was gone, I was going to have to start some medicine for that but never had to. I just wasn't interested. Which was strange by itself. But after a few weeks of no off days my weight loss stalled. Georgia told me to suck it up and take my days off. After 2 weeks of the off days my progress started back up.
    I know there is a psychological advantage to having a day off to eat your favorite things, but there must be a physiological advantage as well. At least it has seemed that way for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience! Georgia has shared your story with me before and so I have chosen to learn from your experience and not challenge the system when it comes to the day off! It hasn't failed me yet, I have progressively lost weight every week. It's quite amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note and let us know how it is going today!
If you do not have a google account sign in under anonymous and just sign your name at the end of your note.