Friday, July 30, 2010

End of the Month Report:



Well, here we are at the end of July, it seems like just yesterday I was watching the 4th of July fireworks. There were plenty of BBQ's, family get-togethers, and festivities.  I knew that this month would be tricky as I just figured out how to eat healthy on my own, and taking on the social scene would be challenging.  Here are some things I learned:
  1. You don't have to overeat just because there's lots of food.  Basic concept, makes sense, but for some reason in the past if I saw a huge pot luck I have felt a duty to taste everything and come back for seconds for the meal and get a plate full of desserts.  So now I've learned to grab a protein, a carb, and a bunch of vegetables and call it good. (Maybe a sliver of dessert:) 
  2. Put the emphasis of the get-together on the people not the food! If I'm more interested in catching up with friends and family, I can't be stuck behind a plate of food.  The purpose of gatherings are to build relationships with people, NOT FOOD! (it is okay to enjoy your food though:) but also enjoy stimulating conversation because you aren't too busy stuffing your face!
  3. People really are OK if you don't eat 5 desserts.  For some reason in the past I felt a duty to taste everything, so that I could tell everyone how much I liked their treats.  But I didn't this month, and nobody got in my face and demanded that I eat what they made, or made me feel bad for not trying what they made. Isn't it funny how your head can get wrapped around an idea and you can go years without challenging the validity of the concept?  
  4. It is wonderful to leave a get-together and not feel gorged; just refreshed because you had time to catch up with friends and family. I enjoy not feeling guilty for eating too much.  Just don't eat too much and the guilt goes away. It's not easy when you've got a habit of overeating at get-togethers, but definitely worth trying out.
So I really want to hear from YOU to see how this month went.  Like I said, it was a tricky month and many of you are just starting, so don't be hard on yourself if it didn't go perfectly.  I would like to hear what you did try, and how it went. I would also like to hear what's challenging you, putting it into words makes it recognizable so you can make a plan of attack. 
Let's set some goals for next month and work on them together!  If you prefer to keep your comments with just me then shoot me an email, otherwise post your comments below on this blog. Perhaps your observations will help others!

2 comments:

  1. So this has been an interesting process. I am a lover of food, especially the kind that isn't so good for you. I have many a time this month said, "k I can only stand to do this eating thing for one more week and then I quit. It's just too hard." Then that week ends and I have my free day and I find myself starting a new week of healthy eating. Just this last week was hard we had our anniversary, a birthday party, and a weekend trip. I decided to just kind of give up on the eating and start fresh on Monday. There were just too many days of going out to eat. Here's what I discovered. I no longer enjoy eating out as much as I used to. I was actually sick of eating out by the end of the week. I also still found myself making healthier choices even though I had told myself I wouldn't care (fish instead of burger and fries), last I learned that it makes me sick to eat larger amounts of food now. I have gotten so used to the smaller meals that I feel literally sick if I eat too much(very uncomfortable). I am finally seeing how this can really be a lifestyle change instead of just another diet.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way-to-go Sandy, this is why you are having success. You are making healthy eating a habit. Looking and feeling great is your reward, and it is well worth the effort you have made. I wish everyone would see it as clearly as you have. Keep up the great work, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note and let us know how it is going today!
If you do not have a google account sign in under anonymous and just sign your name at the end of your note.