Saturday, July 10, 2010

These are a few of my NEW favorite things....

courgettes and patty pan squash


I've been exploring different options for lowering the carbs in my diet and increasing the healthy protein.  This is actually been quite fun for me. I'm one of those people who always orders something different at a restaurant. However, I'm married to one of those people who almost always orders the same thing at a restaurant.  The first year or two of marriage was quite interesting as it took me a while to grasp the concept that he doesn't enjoy spontaneity when it comes to food. 
Funny flashback story, the first time I cooked for him while we were dating, I made him an omelet with onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, ect.  It was a masterpiece and I could tell he didn't like it, but I couldn't fathom why. Well, as I mentioned above it took a couple years of marriage for me to catch on,,,I'm a slow learner.
So fast forward 8 years, and I've got the hang of what he likes; and I like to cook what he likes, hence my cooking has become quite predictable and routine.  Well, I knew that me trying new things was going to be an issue and I talked it over with my friend, Melinda, who has a predictable husband as well, and she said it really hasn't been a big problem, she prepares her regular meals but when it's a high carb dish, she'll prepare a small pan of alternative just for her.  It doesn't take much extra time, because it's just for her, and she eats along with the family, no one's feathers are ruffled and life goes on just as before.  I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago, when I was making spaghetti  with meat sauce.  Now you can eat pasta in small portions, but I'm looking for other lower carb alternatives so I tried spaghetti squash, I microwaves 1/4 of it in a bowl, with butter spray and salt, for 5 minutes.  It was sooo easy, and it was great just like that but topped with meat sauce was delicious, and it wasn't a big deal. The family ate their pasta, I ate with them. I felt much better afterwards without having a big carb sleepiness come over me, as does when I eat too much carbs, but more importantly I felt excited, knowing I got to order something new on the menu.  It was mentally refreshing to me!
So some other fun stuff I've ordered from my new menu is: eggplant, acorn squash, thin buns, lowfat cheese sticks, and greek yogurt.  It's exciting to know that there's many more things for me to try and I'm not completely rocking the boat of my family's predictable menu. 
What have you discovered that is working for you and your family?

1 comment:

  1. I had the same experience with my baby and squash. I actually got a photo of it. Anyway, your meal sounds soooo good, just right for a summer dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note and let us know how it is going today!
If you do not have a google account sign in under anonymous and just sign your name at the end of your note.